Saturday, April 25, 2009

Orientation at Feline Rescue

Yesterday, while hanging out in the Caribou Coffee parking lot with some friends, we started talking about tomorrow's plans and I found out that my friend Chloe would be attending orientation with me this morning AAAAAND we have the same volunteer shift on Tuesdays. This could be the best coincidence I've ever heard.
Getting up early on a Saturday was a struggle, especially with the cold weather. Lucky for me, I live less than a mile from the shelter. One more complaint about the morning was that Freia (my sister) stole my coffee drink that I had in the fridge! (snakes in her bed...)
When I got to the shelter I was brought to the back room with the other volunteers by the volunteer coordinator, and I'm blanking on her name right now. We got to play with the cats for a bit before starting the presentation about the shelter.
They showed us a powerpoint about why you should spay/neuter your cats, which was a bit long for me because I learned about all of that stuff when I went to a camp at The Humane Society when I was younger. The powerpoint was split up with a tour of the building. They introduced us to some of the cats and talked about how things work around the shelter. After that they showed us a short film about the shelter.
http://www.felinerescue.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=120

The building was brightly colored and inviting, and the people that volunteer there were all friendly. We didn't do any volunteer work today, but I start Tuesday and I'm actually looking forward to it.

http://www.felinerescue.org/

I'm also going to try and convince my family to be a foster home for a cat or two....

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fabulous. Good detail about your orientation. I'll mention to Freyja that she owes you a coffee drink. What fun that your friend will be joining you! Way to get started!

    ReplyDelete